Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Local Culture

We've done lots of activities here with local flavor- especially funnel cakes, pierogies, lebanon bologna and cheesesteaks.

We've been to the Kutztown Folk Festival- same one my mom went to 50 years ago. Also the place where the funnel cake was created. Carson was chosen from the crowd to be part of a PA Dutch dialect humor routine- he was a great sport!


Another unique spot we hit was Roadside America. I had never been there and didn't know what to expect. After paying your six dollars, you walk through a dark door into a huge train set up with miniature village. We walked around the perimeter where there were buttons to push to make trains move, or dogs bark, or coal cars dump their load. There were historic buildings and caves and indians. Sort of like miniland at Legoland- but I found it more impressive. They even had a 'night pageant' where they simulate the sun set, night, and sunrise while playing patriotic music.


Eric & Gramps took the boys on a tour at the Atlas Cement Museum which is the company where his grandfather and great grandfather worked. (My grandfather was also in the cement industry).

We've also been to Shankweiler's- America's Oldest Drive In. All the kids stayed up to watch the movie "Up"- but couldn't stay awake for the double feature. We had a great time and may try to fit another movie in before we leave.

There's only a few things left on our 'to do' list- which is good since Eric leaves to head back to CA on Monday. We've got a short list of house rentals in OC- so you can be praying we get a good one!

1 comment:

  1. Looks so fun!!! :) Hey, I meant to tell you guys...on my drive back from NY, we stopped at a PA Dutch restaurant for lunch, and I ate scrapple in your honor. I had always heard Eric talk about it, so I decided to do it! It was interesting...Not sure if I'd order it again, but it was fun! :)

    ReplyDelete